Mercy Corps Recruitment for M&E Intern
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: M&E Intern
Job Location: Abuja
Employment Type: Internship, Full-time
Reports Directly To: M&E Specialist
Works Directly With: Partner staff, M&E Specialist, Program Manager, GESI Manager, Senior Program Officers, Gender team, CLA Officer, Infographic and Learning Assistant and Communications Officer
Program / Department Summary
- The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) launched one of its most comprehensive peacebuilding programs in Nigeria to date with Mercy Corps, a leading global humanitarian aid and development organization, which has been working with communities in Nigeria since 2012.
- The goal of the Community Initiatives to Promote Peace (CIPP) program, which commences in 2019, is to prevent violent conflict in the most at-risk communities across 6 states and 24 local government areas (LGA) in Nigeria's Northwest and North Central regions. CIPP builds on the accomplishments and deep contextual knowledge gained by USAID and Mercy Corps through their previous peacebuilding programs in Nigeria.
- Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, protection of the vulnerable population, social cohesion, the inclusion of women, youth, and persons living with disabilities, and local conflict management.
The CIPP program is implemented in six North Central & North-Western Nigerian states: Benue, Plateau, Kogi, Kaduna, Kano and Katsina. Since 2019 is strategically building on the past four years of the Mercy Corps former peacebuilding programs to:
- Improve local capacity and skills to manage disputes
- Strengthen and enable more sustainable Early Warning and Early Response (EWER) mechanisms
- Increase collaboration among communities with government agencies, CSOs, and local leaders to address root causes of conflict
- Strengthen women’s capacities to prevent and resolve conflict 5. Improve ability to address violent extremist recruitment tactics.
General Position Summary
- The M&E Intern will work with the MEL Unit as part of a team to operationalize and improve the MEL system, which heavily relies on a well-managed CIPP database.
- The M&E Intern is responsible for supporting Mercy Corps staff and local partners to regularly document all supporting documents to measure the impact of Mercy Corps programs.
- S/he will directly work with the M&E Specialist & Senior MEL Manager who are the point of contact for all Mercy Corps field staff regarding M&E support needs and operational issues.
- The Intern will support the project in ensuring that documentation is up to date and is in compliance with MC and donor policies.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Update record retention on the MC drive.
- Work closely with the MC Strategic Learning Manager to file and archive both soft and hard copies of the CIPP program ensuring that they are up to date.
- Support the MEL team with Context monitoring on the Geopoll dashboard.
- Support the MEL team with database entry of CIPP program participants.
- Support the MEL team in data collection, collation, and database entry.
- Support the M&E, ICT, and Database Assistant to ensure the database is live and accessible to field offices.
Implement the M&E Systems and Tools:
- Work as part of a team to facilitate and support M&E operations including annual, and end-line surveys, regular monitoring, data collection, and analysis, feedback, and reporting according to the MEL work plan.
- Support in regular field visits to ensure all elements of the M&E system and database are being utilized effectively by all stakeholders, assessing and identifying breakdowns and areas that require clarifications and improvements.
- Support the M&E, ICT, and Database Assistant to ensure field teams always have the most recent version of all M&E tools and documents.
Link M&E Results to Reporting:
- Support the MEL team review or edit of data in reports as requested and required.
- Support the CLA Officer and Learning Assistant to ensure that all learnings are documented.
- Conduct self both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its peacebuilding mission in Nigeria.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to peace and conflict programming.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
Ethics and Integrity:
- All Mercy Corps staff members are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life.
- Mercy Corps have zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation.
- Any breach of our policies will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
- Candidate should have a minimum of B.Sc / HND in any Social Science field.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in M&E (fieldwork, data collection, report writing, documentation etc.)
- Prior experience working on development programs.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing, and reporting.
- Willingness to travel to all CIPP field offices regularly.
- Proven skills in the use of Microsoft Office package.
- Experience in data collection and analysis using participatory methodology.
- High regard for organizational culture.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- The ideal candidate will have strong planning, and organizing skills. S/he will be an excellent communicator, and multi-tasker, and able to work in ambiguous situations.
- S/he will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures.
- The successful candidate will be a dedicated and patient individual with good interpersonal skills and maintain a sense of humour.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Abuja with about 30 - 40% travelling to project locations. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs, and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal-opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASCand have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Velvot Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Sales Intern
- R-DATS Consulting Recruitment for Graduate Intern (Research and/or Data Management)
- International Rescue Committee Recruitment fo Admin Intern
- QuantumX Recruitment for Sales Executive / Marketer (Intern)
- Vatebra Limited Recruitment for UI / UX Design Intern
- Kaplo Africa Recruitment for Digital Marketing Intern
- Knight Frank Recruitment for Graduate Intern (Cohort 2)
- Smartflow Technologies Limited Recruitment for Planning Intern
- Smartflow Technologies Limited Recruitment for Sales Support Intern
- Jireh Doo Foundation Recruitment for Administrative Intern