Graduate Assistant Programme Officer Recruitment
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Assistant Programme Officer
Job ID: 21248
Job Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Salary Grade: NA
Hardship Level: E
Family Location Type: Non-Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
- The Assistant Programme Officer may be based in HQ, field / regional bureau, and would normally receive guidance from more senior programme staff in the operation / bureau / division and may supervise a small team of local staff.
- The incumbent may refer to UNHCR's Programme Manual (Chapter IV), UNHCR's corporate and regional strategic priorities, operation plans and other relevant institutional rules and regulations for further guidance.
- The Assistant Programme Officer will support the provision of programmatic guidance and support with regard to the implementation of protection and solutions strategies within available resources.
- The incumbent will play a role in coordinating with the other sections / units to ensure harmonized programmatic approaches at all levels and throughout the UNHCR Operations Management Cycle.
- S / he will work in line with the overall UNHCR directions which crucially require working with partners, including with persons of concern, governmental institutions and the private sector, ensuring that programme management is approached as per UNHCR's Strategic Directions, Global Strategic Priorities (GSPs), Global Compact for Refugees (GCR), corporate positions on SDGs.
- The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach as defined within the Program Manual, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support in assessing and analysing the needs of persons of concern in a participatory manner, using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective as basis for planning
- Provide support on programmatic aspects of developing multi-year protection and solutions strategies and annual plans with corresponding priorities taking into account corporate priorities
- Support Results Based Management and programme capacity in light of evolving requirements, programming approaches and gaps,
- Assist the planning process in compliance with planning parameters outlined in the Programme Manual and the planning instructions
- Contribute to the review and analyse of plans, mid-year and year-end reports of UNHCR offices in the region, ensuring quality assurance and compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards.
- Assist with the provision of overall direction to broaden partnerships with key stakeholders in order to maximize the protection and solutions response for persons of concern.
- Contribute to the successful application of the framework for implementing with partners, including the effective implementation of the policy on selection and retention of partners, management of partnership agreements, risk-based project performance monitoring, and risk-based project audits, among others.
- Contribute to ensure consistent and coherent monitoring approaches, tools and systems within the Area of Responsibility (AoR), in line with global standards and polices.
- Actively contribute to UNHCRs programming of community of practice and continuously contribute to improvements of programming tools and processes.
- Identify potential gaps and problems and in cooperation with other relevant sections recommend appropriate solutions to ensure the efficient implementation of programme activities
- Assist in a timely and effective follow-up of internal and external audits observations and recommendations that relate to programmatic issues.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For P1 / NOA - 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education:
- Economics Business Administration Social Sciences or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and / or Licenses:
- Not specified
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience:
- Demonstrated experience in programme management including familiarization with the OMC and sound knowledge Results Based-Management. Demonstrated experience in field operations, sound knowledge on the centrality of protection in programming, Joint Needs Assessments and the principles of targeting.
- Demonstrated experience in coordination within an inter-agency context and other actors, in a refugee or humanitarian context. Sound experience in program management training and capacity building activities.
- PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
- PG-Results-Based Management
- PG-UNHCR's Programmes
- PG-Experience with coordinating with Implementing Partners (Governmt / INGO / NGO / Corporate)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and / or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Managing Performance
- Analytical Thinking
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Working Knowledge is desirable
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
Additional Information and Notice
- A written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- Applicants must be nigerian nationals
- This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants. You are therefore encouraged to read the details.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and / or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- Operations Manager Job at Caronik Security
- Project Engineer Job at LOPTERRA
- Operations Associate Job at ReelFruit
- Project Manager Job at Turquoise Infrastructure & Energy Nigeria
- Project Manager Job at Workforce Group
- Business Advisor Job at TechnoServe
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer Job at Action Against Hunger
- Project Manager Job at Rhics Technology
- Project Officer Intern Recruitment at Access Solutions Limited
- User Researcher Job at Carlcare Development Nigeria Limited